Erotic spanking (also known as spankophilia) is the act of spanking another person for the sexual arousal or gratification of either or both parties. Activities range from a spontaneous smack on bare buttocks during a sexual activity, to occasional sexual roleplay (such as ageplay) to domestic discipline and may involve the use of a hand or the use of a variety of spanking implements, such as a spanking paddle or cane. Erotic spanking may be administered to bare buttocks or normally dressed. Spanking can involve the use of bondage.
Erotic spankings are commonly combined with other forms of sexual foreplay, such as oral sex, sexual roleplaying and/or ageplay. The most common type of erotic spanking is administered on the bare buttocks, but can also be combined with bondage, in order to heighten sexual arousal and feelings of helplessness.
Many cultures describe pain as an aphrodisiac. For example, the Kama Sutra, in particular, goes into specific detail on how to properly strike a partner during sex.
Contents 1 History and literature 2 Practice 2.1 Implements 2.2 Costume 2.3 Apparatus 3 Spanking positions 3.1 Over-the-knee 3.2 Over-the-lap 3.3 Lying across the lap 3.4 Under the arm 3.5 Head-between-legs 3.6 Waist-between-legs 3.7 Variants 3.8 Lying 3.9 BDSM spanking 3.10 Other positions 4 See also 5 References 6 Further reading 7 External links
History and literature
Fresco painting inside the Tomba della Fustigazione where two men are portrayed flagellating a woman during an erotic situation.
The origins and scope of erotic spanking and flagellation are largely unknown. One of the earliest depictions of erotic flagellation is found in a 6th century BC Etruscan burial site named in modern times the Tomba della Fustigazione or "Tomb of Flogging" after its depictions of eroticized flagellation.
Representations of erotic spanking and flagellation make up a large portion of Victorian pornography (see 1000 Nudes by Koetzle.) Hundreds of thousands of engravings, photographs, and/or literary depictions of spanking and flagellation ("birching") fantasies circulated during the Victorian era, including erotic novellas like The Whippingham Papers, The Birchen Bouquet, Exhibition of Female Flagellants or the pornographic comic opera Lady Bumtickler's Revels. Many well-known people since their deaths have been discovered to enjoy spankings for erotic purposes or emotional gratification including renowned British Army officer T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia"), influential English theatre critic Kenneth Tynan, TV broadcaster Frank Bough, and English writer John Mortimer.
A spanking may be carried out with the use of a bare hand, or with any of a variety of implements, including a paddle, strap, hairbrush or belt. Other popular tools are canes, riding crops, whips, switches, birches, sneakers, rolled-up newspapers, rulers or martinet. (see Category:Spanking implements).
Costume Spanking skirt
A spank skirt (also called a spanking skirt) has an additional opening in back designed to expose the buttocks. While the name spank skirt suggests that the wearer could be spanked "bare bottom" without removing or repositioning the skirt, this item may be worn for reasons other than spanking (for instance, exposure).
Considered fetish wear, spank skirts are typically tight-fitting and made of fetishistic materials (such as leather, PVC or latex).
Regardless of the gender of the wearer, spank skirts are usually considered female attire. The male gender role equivalent might be motorcycle chaps.
Other garments associated with spanking as well as humiliation are ruffled or rhumba panties, women's panties with rows of ruffles on the rear panel or outside.
A spanking bench or spanking horse is a piece of furniture used to position a spankee on, with or without restraints. They come in many sizes and styles, the most popular of which is similar to a sawhorse with a padded top and rings for restraints.
The 19th century British dominatrix Mrs Theresa Berkley became famous for her invention of the Berkley Horse, a similar form of BDSM apparatus.
Those who are interested in the practice giving or receiving erotic spankings are sometimes referred to spankophiles. Examples include the poet Algernon Swinburne (as implied repeatedly in his poetry) and the philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau, as detailed in his autobiography Confessions:
... Miss Lambercier... exerted a mother's authority, even to inflicting on us... the punishment of infants... Who would believe this childish discipline, received at eight years old, from the hands of a woman of thirty, should influence my propensities, my desires, my passions, for the rest of my life... To fall at the feet of an imperious mistress, obey her mandates, or implore pardon, were for me the most exquisite enjoyments, and the more my blood was inflamed by the efforts of a lively imagination the more I acquired the appearance of a whining lover."
Howard Stern's paddle machine, the "Robospanker", has been used on his show to spank numerous guests,, including Jessica Jaymes, Jennifer Krum, Haydn Porter, Tabitha Stevens, Victoria Zdrok, and Valentina Vaughn. 
In some cultures, the spanking of women, by the male head of the family or by the husband (sometimes called domestic discipline) has been and sometimes continues to be a common and approved custom. In those cultures and in those times it was the belief that the husband, as head of the family, had a right and even the duty to discipline his wife and children when he saw fit, and manuals were available to instruct the husband how to discipline his household. In most western countries, this practice has come to be regarded as unlawful and socially unacceptable wife-beating, domestic violence or abuse. Routine corporal punishment of women by their husbands, however, does still exist in some parts of the developing world, and still occurs in isolated cases in western countries.
Today, spanking of an adult tends to be confined to erotic spanking or to BDSM contexts. The domestic discipline scenario is commonly invoked in erotic spanking, but with a bare bottom or totally nude, with bondage and less direct physical contact being a feature of BDSM.
Spanking can be administered in a number of spanking positions. The choice of position takes into account the spankee's (bottom) comfort in the position for long periods of time, the spanker's (top) ability to swing at the spankee at a comfortable, natural angle, complete access to the spankee's buttocks, the spanker's control of the spankee's position and ability to readjust as necessary, safety, and the amount of strength the top is able to generate from such a position. Positions can also be chosen specifically for added effects such as increased humiliation, elevation and suspension.
Over-the-knee spanking by Eric Galton from The Misfortunes of Colette. Notice how the spankee is bent over only one knee (as opposed to the over-the-lap position), and how the spanker is using her other leg to control one of the spankee's legs.
With over-the-knee spanking, the most common spanking position, the spankee lays across the spanker's knee, which is slightly elevated. The spankee's body is bent across the knee with the buttocks raised and presented for spanking The spanker will typically firmly grasp the spankee's waist and hold them down to prevent their squirming out of position and use the elbow to press down on the spankee's back in between the shoulder blades to prevent them from lifting up their head and shoulders and flattening out. The spanker's right leg can then be used to control the spankee's legs.
The spankee's hands can be either on the floor, or grasping the legs of the chair (if in a chair) for support, but can also be in mid air if high enough. The spankee's right arm is normally pinned to the small of their back by the spanker's left hand if the spankee begins to swing their right arm around. If it is a woman spanking a male then she will typically pay attention to make sure his penis is planted firmly against her right thigh facing to the left. The spanker can achieve a more comfortable position for swinging their arm by turning their upper body to the right, this will also allow for a stronger swing.
Over-the-lap spanking is similar to over-the-knee except that the spankee is positioned over both of the spanker's knees.
Lying across the lap
With the spanker sitting in the center of a couch or the side of a bed (further back than when spanking over-the-knee), the spankee lays sideways over his/her lap. Unlike the over-the-knee position, the spankee is in a horizontal position with upper body and legs resting on the bed/couch. This can be more comfortable for both the spankee and the spanker, as it takes much of the spankee's weight from the spanker's lap and from the spankee's stomach.
Under the arm
The tucked-under-the-arm position is similar, but here the spanker sits at an angle with the spankee held by the spanker's arm at his/her waist.
Head-between-legs position by Martin van Maële.
In the head-between-legs position the spankee's head is between the spanker's legs. The spankee can be bent-over, kneeling or on-all-fours doggy style.
In the waist-between-legs position the spankee is in the doggie position and is locked by his/her waist between the spanker's legs. The spanker and spankee are facing opposite directions. The spanker will be standing or kneeling (the latter requires that the spanker is taller than the spankee) and can spank the spankee's buttocks from above. The spanker can additionally use his/her non-spanking hand to keep the spankee's bottom in a good spanking position, or to pull the spankee's clothing tight over the buttocks, or clear out of the way for a bare bottom spanking.
If the spanker is standing and the spankee is small it is also possible for him/her to be not on all fours, but off the floor while locked between the spanker's legs; either in front (hands off the floor), in rear (feet off the floor), or both.
The spankee is lying on the floor or on a bed (see lying position), and the spanker is kneeling and straddling over the spankee (preferably with most of his/her weight on his/her knees, rather than his/her posterior, so the spankee's breathing is not made difficult).
The spankee is kneeling and bending over an object (e.g. a low stool, see kneeling position) and is additionally secured in place by being taken between the spanker's legs.
- The bongo position, where the spanker is seated and takes the spankee between his legs, but upside-down and with the spankee's legs spread and to either side of the spanker.
Spanking in the lying position. The spankee's hands are bound and legs are spread-eagle
In the lying position, the spankee lies face-down on a bed, couch or floor. A cushion, pile of cushions, pillow, bolster, or rolled-up blanket can be placed under the spankee's pelvis to raise the spankee's buttocks for spanking, as can the spankee's hands. Physical restraints, such as rope, straps, cuffs, or spreader bars, can be used. The spankee's legs can be kept together or they can be spread-eagle. All lying positions are suited for using a whipping or any other spanking implement. The lying position was used in judicial corporal punishment, for examples see and gonjang.
In a BDSM context, spanking involves the spankee being physically restrained and the spanker having access to the spankee's buttocks for spanking or whipping, and the full range of spanking implements can be used. There are many scenarios in the home where a spankee can be tied up. For example, the spankee can be tied or handcuffed lying on a bed or couch. On a bed the spankee's legs can be tied together or they can be spread-eagle. The spankee can be tied upright to a doorway or other frame. A popular position is the doggie position, in which the spankee's buttocks are fully presented for spanking. The spankee can be stooped over touching the toes, or holding onto a chair, couch, bench, desk or table, or kneeling on a bed or couch, stooped over with hands on the floor. The spankee can be tied to furniture, such as a chair or table.
- over the spanker's shoulder
- lying on back with legs raised upward and toward chest (diaper position)
- tied to a tree or pole that is in a safe area outside
- Jules Markham, Consensual Spanking. (Adlibbed Ltd., 2005)
- a b Rebecca F. Plante (2006). "Sexual Spanking, the Self, and the Construction of Deviance". Journal of Homosexuality (Haworth Press) 50 (2–3): 59. doi:10.1300/J082v50n02_04. PMID 16803759.
- Love, Brenda (1992). The Encyclopedia of Unusual Sex Practices. London: Greenwich Editions. pp. 113. ISBN 0-86288-223-0 0-86288-223-0.
- Uwe Scheid, Michael Koetzle (1994). 1000 Nudes: Uwe Scheid Collection. Cologne: Taschen, ISBN 3822855693
- Marcus, Sharon (2007). Between women: friendship, desire, and marriage in Victorian England. Princeton University Press. p. 147. ISBN 0691128359.
- Mudge, Bradford Keyes (2000). The whore's story: women, pornography, and the British novel, 1684-1830. Ideologies of desire. Oxford University Press. p. 246. ISBN 0195135059.
- Sutherland, John (1990). The Stanford Companion to Victorian Fiction. Stanford University Press. p. 307. ISBN 0804718423.
- Wilson, Jeremy (1989). The Authorized Biography of T. E. Lawrence. Chapter 34.
- "Mixed Media". Forbes. 2005-05-09.
- a b c "Rowan Pelling's sex advice column: 'My lover wants to spank me but I think it's too silly for words'". Daily Mail (London). 2010-01-10.
- Johnson, Paul, Intellectuals, 1988, Chapter 13: "The Flight of Reason", Johnson discusses Tynan from pages 324-330
- Kenney, Shawna (2002). I Was a Teenage Dominatrix: a memoir. Last Gasp. p. 49. ISBN 0867195304.
- Stanley, Autumn (1995). Mothers and daughters of invention: notes for a revised history of technology, Volume 36. Rutgers University Press. pp. 585–586. ISBN 0813521971.
- Sigmund Freud (1905). Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality.
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau. Confessions of J. J. Rousseau.
- Haydn Porter being paddled by a paddle machine during A Spanking New Year, the January 4, 2007 episode of The Howard Stern Show.
- Beichman, Arnold, "Where wife-beating is up for debate", Washington Times, 2 October 2005.
- Haj-yahia, Muhammad M. (August 2003). "Beliefs About Wife Beating Among Arab Men from Israel: The Influence of Their Patriarchal Ideology". Journal of Family Violence 18 (4): 193–206. doi:10.1023/A:1024012229984.
- 498A_Crusader (2007-12-12). "Most Indian women okay with wife beating". MyNation Foundation. Retrieved 2008-10-30.
- Koetzle, Michael. 1000 Nudes: A History of Erotic Photography from 1839-1939. Taschen, 2005.
- Lady Green, The Compleat Spanker. Greenery Press, 2000. ISBN 1-890159-00-X.
- Marcus, Steven. The Other Victorians. Basic Books, 1966.
- Rousseau, Jean-Jaques. The Confessions of Jean-Jaques Rousseau. London: Penguin Books, 1953.
- Swinburne, Charles Algernon. The Works of Charles Algernon Swinburne. Hertfordshire: Wordsworth Editions, 1995