A fluffer is a hired member of the crew of a pornographic movie whose role on the set is to sexually arouse the male participants prior to the filming of scenes requiring erections.[1] The term has also been extended to include female participants.[citation needed] Today, many adult film stars[who?] maintain that fluffers are a thing of the past, needed in the 1970s and 1980s when the crew, shooting on celluloid, needed much more time to prepare a shot. Erectile dysfunction drugs such as Viagra have also played a part in replacing fluffers.

A fluffer also has the duty of keeping adult film stars "cleaned up" in between takes or during photo shoot set-ups, so that the actors or models do not have to move from their positions. These duties are considered part of the makeup department. After setting up the desired angle, the director asks the actors to hold position and calls for the fluffer to "fluff" the actors for the shot.

Brittany Andrews has stated that fluffers are now utilized only in "gang bang" scenarios. David Gordon uses fluffers in every film that he directs — he reportedly had 14 fluffers in the green room of his 1987 film Where's My Fluffer?.[citation needed]

There have been two films entitled The Fluffer. The first,[2] a 2001 release, was about a bisexual man with a crush on a gay porn star that is heterosexual outside of his video career. A 2003 release[3] received less attention.


1. ^ Collins, Scott (27 August 2006). "Long night for Emmys", Los Angeles Times. Retrieved on 10 May 2008.
2. ^ Scott, A.O (16 November 2001). "FILM REVIEW; O.K., Just Tell Your Folks It's Artistic Work, in Films", The New York Times. Retrieved on 10 May 2008.
3. ^ "The Fluffer (2003)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved on 10 May 2008.


| more